Thursday, June 10, 2010

Garden Picnic

I made plans with three friends of mine to meet up at my house for a picnic in the garden. The four of us work together on a lot of volunteer activities at university and enjoy spending time together. I had only a day to plan, but it was a casual get-together where the three guests would be arriving at different times. This means that a traditional sit-down dinner with table linens and formal courses served in a specific order would not work. I decided to go with a ‘Mexiamerican’ theme since I had a few ripe avocadoes.

Guacamole:

2 Large Ripe Avocadoes
½ Fresh Tomato (diced)
1 TBS Tofutti Sour Cream (Vegan)
Fresh Chopped Cilantro
Green Onion (chopped)
¼ Fresh Lime (juiced)
Ground Cumin
Salt

Vegan Bean Dip:
Layered into a ramekin in this order:
1 Can of Vegetarian Refried Beans
¼ Cup Tofutti Sour Cream (Vegan) – Mixed with Taco Seasoning
¼ Cup Fresh Hot Salsa
½ Fresh Tomato (diced)
Fresh Chopped Cilantro
Green Onion (chopped)
Guacamole
Soy Cheese (Daiya) – By the way this is the ONLY cheese substitute I will use
Tofutti Sour Cream (Vegan)

I set out a variety of 3 salsas (with a sprig of cilantro indicating the hot salsa) and a large glass bowl with yellow and blue corn tortilla chips for dipping. I discussed the quality of the food with one of my friends objectively and we agreed that the guacamole could use a little more something so I decided I will add more salt next time and also some green chili peppers. The bean dip is pretty good as it is. I am so glad I was able to find a soy cheese that actually tastes awesome! I really hope they keep making this product; it is good cold, in salads, melted onto things and made into a nacho cheese sauce.

I had a great time yesterday snacking and talking about our summer plans, my trip to India and our future plans in the months to come! It’s so nice to be back home, enjoying this wonderful time of year, entertaining and having fun with friends while enjoying the best weather Michigan has to offer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment