Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Skinny Vegan?

This is my first blog. I have been working on my book for a little over a year now. It is taking a LONG time to make progress, but it's getting there. Stay tuned for updates and some samples of what's to come!

I just got back from India a few days ago. I titled this post 'Skinny Vegan' because I lost 25 LBS in India. I normally compulsively eat on a daily and regular basis; however the combination between sickness, guilt and change of my comfortable environment changed my eating habits. I have battled my compulsive eating disorder my whole life, so it's pretty unrealistic to believe that a lifetime of bad habits has been changed by my experiences in India. Believe it or not, I actually experienced my longest period without food: 36 hours of fasting. I wanted to know what it was like for all the people that were starving there, unable to feel nourished, and going to bed on an empty stomach. While it was difficult and definitely gave me something to think and journal about, I knew deep down that I could never really understand. The whole time I had the financial means to get something to eat, and the comfort of knowing I would be able to eat the next day prevented me from knowing what it was really like. At least I can say that I see things differently now. I always thought my eating disorder was my own unhealthy, self-indulgent, obsessive compulsive, individualistic concern; now I just think it is selfish. How do you overeat when someone is looking at you from the other side of the glass, holding their skinny, starving children? I will not feed my addictions or better my situation at the costs of others. I will not be that person. I decided to make a ‘Findy” (fat Indian) section to my book and dedicate a portion of the proceeds to one of the NGO’s I worked with in India.

My second day back from India, I went with my friend and co-author, Frank, to Whole Foods in Ann Arbor, MI. I spent $140 on delicious organic and vegan food (some of which was healthy). I felt the need to detox my body so I bought a lot of Vruit, carrot juice and mung beans. I will start that detox/fast soon; in the meantime I have been cooking some fresh vegetables and introducing a few of my western, fatty vegan recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment